Wednesday 20 July 2011

CPD23 - Thing 3: My personal brand

Recent dedication and determination to complete my current Aber ILS module has left me slightly behind in completing my CPD 23 blog posts however, I told myself I was going to complete this programme and when I start something I want to see it through.  So, with this in mind, I will be working my way through the 'things' which I have missed starting now with thing 3.

Some really interesting points in the post on Thing 3: consider your personal brand which made me stop and think about how I want to convey my professional and indeed personal self to the online world.  Having studied leisure management then on to management with HR at university when completing my first degree, I have always been aware of the importance of brand identity and how important company image is as the major part of my studies surrounding branding were focused around organisational distinctiveness and corporate identity.  Now that I am 7 years into my career within the library and information profession and part way through an Msc in Information and Library Studies, it is time for me to take what I have learned about organisational brands along with what I have read on the CPD23 blog post and on other CPD23 participants blogs and apply it to my own personal brand.

Thinking about my own unique identity within the online library community and even offline within my work and studies, I guess I am part way to achieving an image, if I look back over job applications which I have completed in the past, I start to see a pattern of how I sell myself, now just a case of applying this along with an image and I am part way there.

Now for the vain part, the Google search of my own name, there were several results on the first page which did refer to me personally but I am perfectly happy with them.  My Facebook page is listed along with some Twitter posts.  Twitter is my main social network for professional purposes, I like to use it to follow the latest developments in libraries, technology and business and mainly use it to post about my studies or interesting library, technology or business related links.  However, after looking at the advice as part of CPD23, one thing I am going to do is work on linking the profiles together to create a consistent brand image of myself as mentioned by Jo on the CPD23 thing 3 post: visual identity (http://cpd23.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html). 

This was always refelcted in my studies of organisational brands and is something I believe is very important in the image of any individual or organisation, afterall we only have to look at the biggest and best brands of the world to see how successful this can be.  Clever marketing and strong brand image can often see people and/or organisations identified by a logo alone.  Ok, so perhaps my own brand won't go worldwide in an instant but applying the same ethos to strong marketing of my own personal brand is certainly a start to fully establishing myself in the library and information community.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the look of your blog, and I especially like the photostream across the top. How far do you take the personal branding idea? Do you keep the photos in a particular style to tie in with the feel you want to create for the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment about my blog :) After reading the advice on CPD23, I'm planning on trying to tie in most of my profiles with the use of a consistent background image and colours; I was thinking maybe one of my own pictures like those above, probably something scenic. Although I do quite like the books background as well. I am planning on being selective in my photo posts to tie in with the feel of my blog, perhaps even post a few library related pictures I have saved on my pc. I quite like the idea of trying to create a professional online image. Are you enjoying CPD23 so far? I'm finding some really useful advice which I hope I will be able to put into practice :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of having a well thought out professional image too, but I'm just not that good at it. I've only recently started thinking about what I wear for work, how I present myself in person, as well as how I am represented online. I think I am seriously behind on this one - this stuff seems to come much more naturally to others than it does to me.
    I am enjoying CPD23, though I was something of a late starter and am a bit worried about how I might catch up. Time will tell. . .

    ReplyDelete