Saturday 27 August 2011

CPD23 Thing 5 - Reflective practice

So now on to thing 5 and time for me to think a bit more about my reflective practice. I have been participating in more reflection since beginning the CPD23 course using this blog as my reflective canvas but now is the time for me to follow a clear structure in my reflection, a consistent cycle to follow.

At present, I tend to reflect on my work quite a bit but anecdotally, developing a structured approach to reflection in my work will be really useful for me and help me develop it as a professional tool. I always find the most important element for me with a bit of reflection is the process of how the task could have been improved. I do this when I help a user in the library, after the enquiry is over I think about how the exchange went, how well I feel I met the information need and if there was anything else I could have done to improve and if there were any areas I then go on to improve my knowledge of the enquiry topic.

However, this being said, it is also a good idea for me to go over the positives as I believe they contribute to the learning experience.  A lot of reflection tends to focus on negative aspects but there is a lot to be gained from reflecting on how well we have done on any particular task.  Quality of reflection is key, having read a bit on reflection as part of CPD23 I need to put into practice a quality framework of reflective practice and learning and start to put this into practice not only in my work but also my course work and study style as a way of improving how I go about my distance learning studies, finding out what works well for me and developing it.



Image © Linda Hazle, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment